Saturday, 31 March 2012

Henze am Gürtel

The place to be tonight is not the Großes Festspielhaus but obviously the Volksoper, which is premiering a double bill of Pagliacci and Henze’s Das Wundertheater. There was a Werkeinführung for this on Wednesday and I covered it for Bachtrack. Normally I wouldn’t write about Werkeinführungen but when I contacted the Volksoper a veritable Chanfalla told me that we would get discussion on a symposium level and much musical accompaniment. As it was I had to endure director Thomas Schulte–Michels spring random tangents like ‘my most influential teacher was a theologist, so naturally he had many mistresses’. There was also an element of ‘we’re doing Henze, how daring’ to which I can only respond Das Wundertheater, Ein Landarzt, Das Ende der Welt.

I’ll be catching the production itself later in the run as Berlin Phil in Salzburg always brings out the Wiener envy here and so I have the opening Osterklang concert later (the Beethoven oratorio Christus am Ölberge with Jordan/Botha/Nylund/Finley, looking forward to it).

No comments:

Post a Comment